Saturday, January 27, 2007

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

In tomorrow's New York Times magazine (one advantage of getting the NYTimes in New York is that you can get the Sunday sections on Saturday!) is another article by Michael Pollan from which I quote my post's title, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." A sentiment that pretty much sums up my own food philosophy if you understand (as Pollan does) food to mean whole, unprocessed food. Not too much--I've never been a fan a gorging myself. An mostly plants--I've always had a vegetarian bend. I think I would also add local: eat local food.

What is most relevant about Pollan's article is his insight that somewhere in the 70s and 80s we started seeing food through a lens of science and that food could be broken down into some basic parts (nutrients, vitamins) and reassembled with no loss of any health value. It reminds me of the magic pill that we were all promised in the 70s that would replace eating altogether. Or was that Tang?

Of course, the difficult part is, as Pollan is quick to point out, how to eat other than industrial food. Difficult, but not impossible. Today's shopping trip: beef, spicy lamb sausage, black radishes, potatos, turnips, and three kinds of cheese, all from local producers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home