Sunday, December 03, 2006

We All Like Sheep

Especially organic ones! There is a lot of coverage out there about organic food and organic health care products--but what about organic cloth and clothing? Cotton has one of the most chemical intensive plants to grow, partly on the (wrong) assumption that since we are not eating the crop, the chemicals will not affect us.

My two favorite pair of pants both happen to be made from organic cotton: my Patagonia duck pants--which I wear for anything outdoors, from hikes here In New Jersey and New York, to stomping around the wilds of Australia. And a pair of organic, Patagoina Aimless Jeans. I just got these and they are some of the most comfortable jeans I have had.

Not to toot Patagonia's horn too loudly (although I do think that they are a really good company and have tremendous products), but Patagonia has made big efforts to produce their clothing from eco-sensitive materials. From creating fleece from recycled plastics, to organic wool and organic cotton. Not an easy thing in this Wal*Mart world where people associate cheap with good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home